I know it’s been a long time now, but we are finally bringing the THIS IS MY STORY contest back. This contest encourages filmmakers to tell short stories or “spots” featuring talented independent and passionate individuals, who are actively doing creative projects. It really doesn’t matter what they do, as long as you can make a compelling story about they’re passion, we wanna see it. This is the place to feature those stories. Take this as an opportunity to challenge yourself and work on a short piece and get some exposure. Plus if your video makes it to the top 5 at the end of the month, have the opportunity to get some industry professionals critique your spot and give you some pointers and real constructive feedback.
We begin accepting entires thru the entire month of August, so start your shooting. Pick a good candidate, schedule some time to shoot a short interview and start telling good stories. You can read a little more about the contest rules, or get some ideas by watching some of the past entrees. Also there’s a do’s and don’ts article that might give you a better idea of what we’re looking for. You can read it by Clicking Here or click on the Do’s & Don’ts tab above.
NO PURCHASE OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING.
HOW TO ENTER
1. Your spot video must be between 2 – 5 minutes long
3. To participate in the contest, video must be uploaded through http://vimeo.com/groups/indiespot/
4. Contestant must be a member of vimeo.com to enter the contest, if you are not a member, you will need to become a member in order to upload your video; membership is free (upgrade option available).
5. Video submission title on Vimeo must be in this exact format: IndieSpot.TV: ”individuals name here”
6. Once video has been uploaded, fill out form below completely and submit.
7. Contestants may enter as many times as they see appropriate. Entries will be deemed made by the authorized account holder. Proof of submission of an entry shall not be deemed proof of receipt by indiespot.tv. Indiespot.tv is not responsible for entries not received due to difficulty accessing the Internet, service outage or delays, computer difficulties and other technological problems.
a. Indiespot.tv staff, the members of their immediate families (spouse, parent, sibling or child) and those living in the same household of each (whether related or not), are ineligible to enter or win. This Promotion is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
b. Contestants are eligible to win a prize valued at $500 from Jag35 gear. NO CASH prize shall be awarded. Previous contest winners are eligible for reentry.
c. Contestants are required to provide truthful information. Indiespot.tv will reject and delete any entry that it discovers to be false or fraudulent. Indiespot.tv will disqualify any entry from individuals who do not meet the eligibility requirements.
a. One (1) Prize will be awarded. Prize is of value of $500 from jag35.com online store. The winner will be solely responsible for all taxes and all other fees and expenses not specified herein associated with the receipt and use of the Prize.
b. There is no substitution, transfer or cash equivalent for prize, except that indiespot.tv or jag35.com may, at its sole discretion, substitute prize of comparable value.
WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION
a. Decisions of Indiespot.tv management with respect to the Promotion are final.
b. Contest winner will be selected within a weeks time following the submission deadline.
a. By participating in the Promotion, the winner agrees to have the winner’s entry video, name, voice and likeness used in any advertising or broadcasting material relating to the Promotion without additional financial or other compensation.
b. Indiespot.tv is not responsible for typographical or other errors in the printing, the offering or the administration of the Promotion or in the announcement of a prize.
We are currently seeking out sponsors and prizes will be posted very soon. Stay tuned for more details. If you are interested in sponsorship opportunities, please fill out our sponsor form by clicking here.
This section will help you gain a better understanding of what we are looking for in your submissions to the “THIS IS MY STORY” contest. Please read it over and make use of the info when creating your SPOT. This isn’t a list of things required, but rather a list of helpful ideas that might give you better insight of what we are trying accomplish with this contest.
The main goal of this contest is to get filmmakers involved in creating quality content, and to improve on shooting techniques. This can be accomplished by actually going out there, lighting, shooting video and capturing sound as well as editing a finished spot featuring interesting and talented individual.
Your SPOT’S DO’s:
- Choose the Right Candidate: Choosing the right candidate to feature on your spot is probably one of the most important steps in this project. It can be anyone but choose wisely. Choose someone that you respect and admire and even inspires you because of something that they do. They should be passionate about what they do, because if they are, they’ll be excited to tell you about it on film. If they lack passion, this will become very obvious on film, and your spot might lack the energy we are seeking. Keep in mind that their talent and passion can be anything. Accountants are passionate about numbers, Mechanics get excited when talking about the cars they rebuild, local bands show enthusiasm when they talk about the music they create, and so on. Look for someone local that you think will make a good candidate.
- Format is important: IndieSpot.TV has created a simple format that works.
- Shoot the interview with your candidate
- Shoot some B-Roll of your subject in action
- Show your candidate doing what they do best: This will give you content to edit. Keep the interview down to 2 – 5 minutes and use some of the B-Roll to show a little more insight into what the interview is telling us. We found this to work great and this is definitely what we are looking for, however, if you have a unique concept which will help you better tell your story, by all means, bring it on. Keep in mind that the story is what matters most, so try and keep it simple. If your unique concept or technique is too complex and it takes away from the story, then you’re better off sticking with our simple format.
- Choose a good background
- Framing is important
- Use appropriate lighting
- Capture the best Audio you can
- Prepare questions for your Interview ahead of time
- Edit sooner rather than later
Your SPOT’S DONT’S:
- Be over complex: There are a lot of interesting things that you may want to cover on your spot, but be mindful to the allotted time. Don’t mix up your story because you are trying to cover too much. Keep it nice and simple. Don’t lose us. Have someone view it first and except their criticism. It may help you out.
- Don’t beat a dead horse: No one likes to see something that has been seen a dozen times. So creativity is the key here. Keep it interesting. Stay within the time frame and don’t repeat yourself on the spot. Also, you are allowed to submit more than one entry, so again, don’t repeat yourself. Like mentioned in the list above, we are your audience, keep us entertained.
- Don’t try to be persuasive: We love our people. Indiespot.tv would not be here if it wasn’t for you independent filmmakers. But don’t try to persuade us in any way, shape or form through your spot or by emailing or anything. This will not help you out in any way and may jeopardize your chances of winning. We are here to maintain the integrity of the contest, so just don’t!
- Don’t be late: Please submit your spot on time. Thank you and good luck. Keep checking back for more announcements